About The Friends
The Friends of the Public Gardens (TFPG) is an incorporated society dedicated to the preservation, enhancement, and protection of the Halifax Public Gardens for the continued enjoyment of everyone.
Click here to JOIN US.
We count among our members, local and international individuals and businesses who value this unique national treasure.
Besides advocating on behalf of the Public Gardens against potential threats to its integrity, in the past 5 years TFPG have and continue to:
- Donated $100,000 and raised $100,000 to the Victoria Jubilee Fund in support of restoration projects in the Public Gardens
- Published a book
- Sponsor the Jarvis Lecture Series
- Promote the Gardens nationally (through links with “Communities in Bloom” among others)
- Maintain the premier website for the Public Gardens
- Conduct free weekly guided tours
- Post photo tours
- Published newsletters
… we could go on, but you get the picture.
The Friends of the Public Gardens society was formed in 1984 as a non-profit organization in response to an urban development, which threatened the welfare of the Public Gardens. The Board of Directors meet monthly to conduct the business of the society.
Board of Directors:
Judith Cabrita – Chair
Dwayne Tattrie – Treasurer
Margaret Anne Bennett – Communications
Barbara Bickle – Communications
Frank Streicher – Communications (web)
Karen Guenther – Membership/Volunteers
Helen MacLean – 150th Anniversary
Susan Nixon – 150th Anniversary
Robert Crane Bursary
Jayne Gillis Events
Colin Stuttard – Past Chair
Serena Graham-Dwyer -Tours