Main Gates

MAIN GATES (#1 on Map)

The ornate wrought iron gates which welcome visitors to the Gardens stand 16’ high and 21’ wide, and bear the coat of arms of the city of Halifax, “E Mari Merces”, meaning wealth from the sea.

They were originally purchased in 1890 from the Saracen Foundary in Scotland, for the Arched Pavilion, which was the main entry point to the Gardens . This entrance was on South Park St. halfway between Sackville St. and Spring Garden Rd.
The gates were moved to its present location on the southeast corner of the Gardens in 1907, when the perimeter wrought iron fence was installed.